Monday, July 22, 2019

"I'm just lonely"

Homeless person sleeping on metal access control bollards on a rainy night
- the public realm can be cold
by Mateja Mihinjac

A couple of weeks ago a North American native man sat next to me while I was enjoying my lunch and observing the busy downtown street that had been pedestrianized during a special event in Saskatoon, Canada. I greeted him and asked how he was doing. This initial interaction led to a conversation I did not expect.

As we started chatting I soon learned he was homeless and unable to get back to his home on a First Nation’s Reserve, so he’s been sleeping in downtown streets. I offered him the rest of my lunch and a soda drink, which he accepted with gratitude.

Then he shared the words that touched my heart: “I’m just lonely.”

He explained that he often walks up and down the street to kill time, trying to get some money and just trying to survive. This day was no exception. He said he’s never seen this many people in this street, usually occupied with motor vehicles. Despite the business of the street, however, he felt lonely because he had no one to talk to. I felt honoured to have had a chance to make a connection with him and offer him what we often fail to show to street people: attention and respect.

It brought to mind two essential steps we have learned in SafeGrowth that underlie meaningful relationships and the ability to establish trust with those most vulnerable.

STEP ONE: ESTABLISH INITIAL CONNECTION

Years ago, psychologist Abraham Maslow described the importance of human connection and sense of belonging in the famous Maslow’s hierarchy of human needs.

As social beings we have an innate need to connect with fellow humans and, in its absence, we crave social contact. Even more, loneliness has been identified as a growing health and social concern that reduces longevity and quality of life.

Loneliness, distrust of strangers, vilifying others
- the social sickness of urban places
Yet, especially in public places, we often ignore opportunities for social bridges or are afraid to establish the connection because we feel too vulnerable, are distrustful of “strangers”, or we fear or stigmatize them. Some people vilify groups or individuals whose lives and choices they poorly understand without offering an opportunity to get to know them.

Establishing a connection with a smile and hello can be a simple initial step to building meaningful relationships. Some think this can be misinterpreted, but in truth, it isn’t difficult to be straightforward and honest.

STEP TWO: BUILD MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS

Meaningful relationships and human connectedness helped us survive in tribal communities and those same values can now help us survive and thrive in neighbourhood communities as well.

Our work in SafeGrowth hinges upon residents and local communities establishing trustful relationships and working together in common purpose - prerequisites for building the social glue for neighborhood problem-solving and change-making.

Summer activities in public spaces - year-round, active social spaces
provide chances for positive connection

FINAL THOUGHTS

Having had a chance to live in different countries and meet people of various backgrounds I have learned to appreciate the importance of establishing connections with strangers. I make the effort to acknowledge, establish eye contact, smile or say hello to anyone I meet, regardless of their background or appearance.

Because of this I have been able to establish meaningful relationships in my personal and professional life, and am very fortunate to do so. I hope I will never have to say those three scary words: “I am lonely”. No one should.

7 Replies so far - Add your comment

em said...

Great blog Mateja....I too hope I never have to say those words.
Thanks for the reminder.

Mateja Mihinjac said...

Thanks Em! We all need a reminder sometimes.

Steve Woolrich said...

So true Mateja. We all need to do what we can to address loneliness, especially on our streets.

Mateja Mihinjac said...

Thank you Steve! Loneliness has certainly become the disease of the 21st Century. It's on us to start with ourselves and address it in our circles.

All the best with your work!

Mateja

Anonymous said...

Well said! In ignoring the homeless society/government also gets to conveniently forget the reasons they are there in the first place due to inequality, racism, poverty, trauma and the pervasive "I'm allright Jack/pull yourself up by the bootstraps" attitude. Greg, you make a very good link between developing strong life long personal relationships and loneliness. Too often people who just see others and things to manipulate and use find themselves very lonely and fool themselves into mistaking hangers-on and yes people for true friends.

GSaville said...

Thanks Anonymous - but this wasn't my blog. I wish I'd written such a great piece, but it was Mateja's.

Mateja Mihinjac said...

So true Anonymous, I find it sad when people say "trust no one" yet I often find myself in the same trap because lack of honesty and human connection has become so pervasive in our society. However, building trust and human connection are paramount for addressing social issues, including homelessness. Let's lead by example!

Best wishes,

Mateja